Thursday, January 16, 2014

'New Year, New Me'? No.

With the New Year in full force, I notice a lot of people talking about their ‘new year’s resolutions.’  Well, I don’t believe in making resolutions, being as by this time people usually give up on them, but I do believe in bettering yourself every day.  Life is about progress, not perfection!  You should want to better yourself every day, not pick the end of the year to collect all the things that are ‘wrong with you’[1] and write a list for you to abide by for the incoming year.  That is setting yourself up for failure, my friend, and I am not about that.  Slow and steady wins the race.

So, listening to all of my friend’s resolutions, seeing their lives, and knowing my own, I have put together a list for the masses.  These aren’t New Year’s resolutions; these are just ways to live a happier life.  This list is things I need to remind myself on a daily basis as well, but if I can help someone else too, then it is a good day!

1)      Stop being mean to yourself!
There is no need to continuously point out all of your flaws and shortcomings.  Everyone has flaws, there are things [be it physical, emotional or mental] that everyone wants to change about themselves.  CHANGE IT.  Beating yourself up and harping on it isn’t going to change it.  I know this sounds like me preaching, but it isn’t.  I do the same thing, but I learned that putting yourself in a negative mental space will not help anything.  It only prolongs your misery.

2)      Blowing out somebody else’s candle won’t make yours shine any brighter.
There is always going to be someone else doing better than you in comparison.  STOP COMPARING.  Once again, it does not do well to harp on the negatives.  You and someone else did not have the same tests in life, so it is unfair to you [and them] to compare grades.

3)      As long as you can look yourself in the mirror at the end of the day, you are okay.
Be happy with your decisions, they are YOUR decisions.  Don’t worry about what other people say or how they react, as long as you are happy with yourself at the end of the day, then life is good.

4)      Life IS good…no matter how bad.
Horrible times can’t last forever.  As cliché as this sounds [and yes, I am aware of how cliché this sounds] even the darkest hour only has 60 minutes.

5)      You cannot please everyone.
You can do everything right and people will STILL have something negative to say.  Forget those people, don’t let them bring you down.  If they won’t matter in a few months, if not years, from now, they don’t matter.
6)      Only you can tell you ‘NO’
Don’t let people dictate what you do.  This is your life.  If you want to go somewhere but someone who doesn’t like you is there, go anyway.  There is no reason why you should give them the satisfaction of letting them in your head.

7)      Complaining is natural
You cannot be happy all the time, that’s a fact, but you don’t need to beat yourself up about it.  I hate the ‘I said I wouldn’t complain as much’ resolutions.  Everyone complains, it’s part of life.  We are both positive and negative, they are not mutually exclusive, and that is o.k.!  Just make sure you follow the next one. . .

8)      Don’t let the negative outweigh the positive.
I have trouble with this sometimes.  It’s okay to get down and sad sometimes, but don’t be so far down the rabbit hole where it is unbearable for you and everyone else around you.  You’re allowed to mope for a little bit, but after your allotted time, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, have a drink and keep it moving! 

So that’s my list, blogfam[2]; Life is far too short to be anything less than unapologetically happy.  Be happy with where you are, strive for better from yourself, don’t let people get you down, always move forward, never say things you don’t mean, have strength in your convictions and only apologize when you feel you should.  Good luck on your resolutions, but just try to make each day better J!



[1] Everyone has flaws!! There is nothing wrong with you
[2] All you dedicated readers are now party of my Blogger Family…Welcome to the Circus!

No comments:

Post a Comment