Tuesday, January 20, 2015

When A Song Changes Your Life-- Movie Review: Begin Again

There are some movies that come along just to entertain you; to bring you to a new universe for an hour or so, make you laugh, make you cry, and then move on.  Then, there are other movies that are so true to art, they touch your life in an entirely different way.  I am a huge fan of indie films, certainly ones that revolve around music.  There are the cult classics, of course, that are hugely influential, like Almost Famous or That Thing You Do, but then there are the lesser known films.  Films like Across the Universe or Once did not get much press popularity before their launch, but they now have their own following, both for their film and their amazing soundtracks. 

However, the real reason I am writing this blog is to discuss a movie that recently came out, pretty quietly, but it is definitely worth the watch.  Begin Again is an amazing indie film with an a-list cast, that you probably never heard of but you should!  Writer-Director John Carey, who also wrote ‘Once,’ was the genius behind this film.  Begin Again has something for everyone; it is a musical dramedy following a producer, a song writer, and the people who intersect their lives.  As someone who has always been into music and the industry, this movie definitely piqued my interest.  Not only did I find the storyline and actors compelling, but the soundtrack really is out of this world. 

The film is almost two hours long, but you will not notice the time pass at all.  At the end of the movie I found myself wanting more, so much so that I had to watch the movie a second time.  I felt completely entranced by the soundtrack even after the movie was over.  I turned the movie on at 11am yesterday morning, watched it twice, and have been listening to the soundtrack since I bought it [off of itunes] last night.  What I personally loved about this film so much (other than the obvious music) was how they portrayed the storylines of each character interweaving.  I also love the idea of how a song can save your life and change your course; a sentiment I know myself (and many of my friends) can strongly relate to.  It is no secret, as it has been discussed in my previous blogs, that I find some music (and books) to be transcendental.  Sometimes these things just find their way into your life at the right moment to help you through, or show you things previously unseen.  Begin Again definitely was a movie for me that went beyond the ‘entertainment factor’ and took me back to the music scene girl I loved being.

Even if the storyline doesn’t relate to you directly, it is a little hard not to be moved by the music.  With an all-star cast like Mark Ruffalo, Kiera Knightly (who is an amazing singer, by the way) and Adam Levine, this movie is a crowd pleaser.  There is music, romance, comedy; this movie has something for everyone. So if you find yourself with two hours to spare one evening, you should definitely check this movie out. If you don’t want to take my word for it right off the bat (because two hours is quite a commitment) maybe just check out the soundtrack[1], and you will be jonesing for more.  It takes a lot for a movie/soundtrack to move me, certainly if it’s about musicians, I am not easily impressed, but Begin Again left quite the impression.  Don’t just take my word for it, check it out for yourself and let me know what you think!




2 comments:


  1. Saw this film a couple of months ago on a plane and throughly enjoyed it. There are some really cheesy moments which make you question why you are watching (any part with James Corden and Ceelo Green). However, the movie still holds up well especially if you like the films you mentioned.

    By the way was inspired to try the 2 headphone 1 phone music experience with my better half over Christmas. Doesn't work as well in reality, gave up after causing chaos getting off a train :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA aww, Matt! that is a very sweet idea. Yeah i could imagine it does not work well during rush hour (holiday season) nor does it work as depicted in a club. But i do think that is a really cute idea. Big fan of the splitter, and kudos to you for trying it!

      yeah James Corden and Ceelo were cheesy but not bad. All-in-all i love that movie (although i skip through Ceelo and that something Orchestra guy's music on the soundtrack.) I stand by the movie/music though..for the most part :)

      Delete