Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Get Lost to Get Found

I had the amazing opportunity when I was in college to study abroad for a semester in Madrid.  For that four months I was able to easily hop all over Europe inexpensively and effortlessly.  But, being like any other 19 year old at the time, all the places I went to in Europe were the ‘popular’ destinations (Ireland, Italy, Paris, London..etc).  I did do my fair share of exploring and sight-seeing, experiencing each country to the fullest that I could at the time, but now, much older, my travel priorities are a lot different.

Partying, the local parades, pubs and brewery scenes are no longer something I put emphasis on.  Now when I travel I want to be able to see different things; cultures, architecture, food.  I want to experience different worlds every time I travel.  Sure, when I lived in Spain and traveled around Europe I was obsessed with architecture, appreciating it and seeking it out, but it was only if I happened to stumble upon it.  I am no longer interested in following the tourist path most traveled, I want to create my own path, see new things. 

One of my best vacations was when I went to Mexico as an adult (I had been there previously) but this time instead of doing excursions, we rented a car and drove around ourselves with just a map and a vague idea of a plan.  We managed to stumble across a local restaurant, in the middle of nowhere, that opened up to the ocean (great photo opportunity!)  We also found a sort of national park where we were able to walk around with a Mayan tour guide (who introduced us to his ‘friends’..wild crocodiles)  and climbed on rickety wooden towers in the middle of crocodile infested waters, and abandonded lighthouses in the middle of an eerily quiet beach. Yes, this probably wasn’t the safest idea (both because of Montezuma’s revenge and because we had no idea who/what was around) but it was an excellent adventure.  In my adulthood, I believe that vacations shouldn’t be escapes from your life, but they should be adventurous breaks.

My recent book obsession has been Wild, a story in which the author, Cheryl Strayed, backpacks the Pacific Crest Trail alone.  Unfortunately for me, I am not athletic enough to do that, nor do I have any inclination to spend several months walking through areas where both the wildlife and mother nature’s fickle temperature is trying to kill you; but I do like the idea.  I love the idea of taking a ‘soul journey.’ A trip in which you are alone with your thoughts, experiencing things that make you take a deeper look within yourself, questioning yourself, and helping you grow as a person.  While I do not have the luxury to be able to walk away from my life for several months (not that I would, even if I didn’t have a job  or mortgage) I am in love with traveling and think that’s something I should do more of.

I recently started my application submissions to graduate school, hoping to get accepted for the Fall semester.  The program I am applying to is extremely competitive, so I am managing realistic expectations.  However, I decided that no matter what happens, I am going to come out a winner!  If I do not get accepted in the fall, I will take a week (or so) and go traveling through the United States.  The downside of studying abroad in Europe was that I saw a lot of what other countries have to offer, and not enough of my own.  My experience with US travel is not as vast as I would like it to be; full disclosure, I think I’ve only been to 20 or so states! It actually makes me cringe that I have been to other countries’ capitals, and not my own (sorry, DC, you’re on the list!)  So if I have to save tackling grad school for another year, I might as well make the most of the free time I have before it gets trumped by school.


My plan would be to fly somewhere in the country, probably out West or Midwest, and then travel by train to several other cities.  I am thinking if I do a 9-10 day trip, I can definitely get a few landmarks/bucket list places done, or at the very least just have really interesting stories to tell.  So where do you think I should go? Fun things to see in your town, quirky villages you’ve stumbled across on your own travels, interesting places you’ve only read about in books . . . I want to hear everything! I am extremely elated by all the possibilities travel brings, and especially a trip like this.  Opportunities are endless, and your mid-late twenties seems like the perfect time to get lost to come home to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment