Monday, December 29, 2014

Time is of the essence.

It’s that time of year again, yet another PSA on dating protocols! I know, I know, you’re very excited.  Well for the men I seem to find myself on dates with, and all the rest of you love lost daters, I am going to hit you with some truth.  It does not matter how rare or special or great you THINK you are, no one is going to wait around for you.

It is an unfortunate truth that we are in the era of internet dating, countless ‘selfies’ and attention mongers, so there are endless opportunities.  Sure, they may not be the most fruitful dating opportunities, but we, as a society, are constantly flooded with internet compliments (comments of praise, ‘likes’, pokes, etc) that we begin to feel we are more special than we are.  The truth is, while the grass is greener where you water it, people will always feel the grass is greener on the other side, and everyone is easily replaceable.  That being a truth, the whole ‘waiting game’ of dating is a thing of the past.

If someone gives you their number (regardless of the gender) it is because they want you to reach out and ask them out.  That is not to say you need to text them before they even walk out of your sight, but you do not need to wait several days before reaching out.  Furthermore, there is a statute of limitations on contact.  I met someone over the summer, gave them my number, chatted for a little but nothing ever came of it.  Flash-forward several months later and he reaches out.  Now, you know it was well passed the statute of limitations, because upon receiving the text I had no idea who ‘X name Y Bar’ was in my phone.  Even after texting back and forth for several messages I was getting a vague idea of who he was, I thought I knew, but I wasn’t 100% sure.  That means you waited way too long to reach out and are not only irrelevant, but look desperate as well.  Unfortunately this is relatively common, as I had someone text me this past summer that I met LAST summer.  I’m sorry, what were you doing for an entire year?! Luckily I was not interested at all, but I don’t even want to be bothered with your nonsense.

The flip side of this coin is that not only do you need to initiate contact quickly, but you do need to act swiftly as well.  If you do not ask someone on a date right away you get stuck in that conversation limbo.  Yes, it is plausible that people get busy with life and it takes you a while to find a mutually convenient time in your schedules to meet, but if you are not trying then you are in danger of going into the friend zone.  I have been in situations where I am talking to someone and it’s nice, but we can never seem to get a date together, or rather, the guy feels the need to chat all day long but never wants to make a move.  All of that is fine, I am happy to make the first move, but when you sidestep all of my attempts to reach out and say you’re busy, you cannot get mad (or ‘miffed’) when I am disinterested and no longer feel the need to hang out with you.  Despite what your mother tells you, or what your facebook likes and Instagram followers lead you to believe, you are not special.  You are not special enough for someone to wait around for you and miss all other opportunities. 


I’m not saying that you are utterly ordinary, maybe deep down when someone gets to know you, you are special; but there is no way for someone to know that right off the bat, so there is no reason for them to wait for you.  So here is my advice, blogfam, if you want something (or someone) take it! Right then and there, if you want something, go for it.  You never know who is going to come along and sweep your person off their feet, so there is no time like the present to make a move.  Even if they don’t meet someone else in the interim of your slow movement, the worst place in the world to be is on the receiving side of apathy.  That is a very hard one to come back from.  So, onward and upwards, take fate into your own hands and make a move! Don’t let fear of rejection (or the potential of finding something better) keep you from action, because that will just leave you closer to ending up old and alone…or at least bored on a Saturday night. J

No comments:

Post a Comment