Thursday, August 7, 2014

My Year Thus Far in Books

Hello fellow Lit Nerds!  I know I write book reviews for some of the books I’ve read in the past, but I figured I would give a quick summary of all the books (I can remember) I’ve read this year, especially since some of them didn’t make it to a full review.

It’s Just a F***ing Date[1]- I won’t sugarcoat it, this is a ‘self-help-esque’ book about dating. It’s a fun read full of good points and helpful advice, but it definitely loses steam midway through.  While at parts the book seems preachy and almost sexist against the male population, as a whole the first half of the book was fun and easy to read.  The second half of the book, however, completely missed the mark.

Lone Survivor- If you’re into military books or just history in general, this is a great read.  This is the story of Marcus Luttrell, Operation Red Wing and Seal Team 10.  What I liked about this book is that it is a piece of history that my generation actually lived through, so I was familiarized with some of the events.  You are forewarned though, it is a little lengthy, as Luttrell goes very much into depth about his BUDS training.  But, if you are between this book and the movie, I would say to read the book first.  I know a lot of people did not agree with me on this, but I think the movie did not do the book justice, as some event depictions are just more heart wrenching and detailed in the book.

The Fault in Our Stars- There is a blog[2] about this, so I will be short, but of course this book is now a cult classic and YA phenomenon.  John Green manages to rip our hearts out and fill us with hope as we follow the story of two young lovers battling their way through cancer and falling in love along the way.

Looking for Alaska- I made the mistake of reading this right after The Fault in Our Stars.  I say that was a mistake because it took away from Looking For Alaska as its own book.  There were similarities between the two books, but that can really just be attributed to Green’s writing style.  Alaska is a darker book than The Fault, filled with shenanigans and a little more dark/adult humor.  This is the story of a young outcast who transfers schools in his senior year in search of ‘The Great Perhaps’ and makes an interesting group of friends along the way.  The book follows Pudge and his new found friends as they play pranks and create havoc on their school, all which leads up to this big event.  Alaska is not as dreamy and loving as The Fault, but it is a great read in its own right.

Girls in White Dresses- If you have seen my previous blog post[3], you know that I am in love with this book.  This book follows four friends as they navigate through life post-college in a sea of weddings, bridal showers, and love lost.  I read it at a time in my life where I could absolutely relate, as all of my friends are getting married and all my weekends are filled with wedding festivities, but it is a great read.  I recommend this to everyone I talk to books about.  This book, while talking about weddings and marriage in a satirical manner, filled me with hope for the future and kept me entertained until the end.

If I Stay- Oh the things that I can say about this book.  I recommended it to one person who found it too depressing and put it down before reaching the end of the first chapter.  I loved this book; I read it in a week.  It was sad, because of the subject matter, but I never felt that it depressing.  Depressing insinuates that there was no sign of hope.  If I Stay is about the protagonist, Mia, who is driving in a car with her family when they get into a fatal car accident which takes the lives of her family and leaves her hanging on by a thread with a choice to make; stay or leave. Gayle Forman writes this sad youth novel in such a way that you find yourself rooting for Mia and wanting to know what she decides more than feeling sorry for all that she lost.  I am not the strongest person when it comes to reading, my mood for the day very much changes depending on the subject matter I am reading (I do not read, I crawl inside books and live there) but this book never made me sad enough where I had to put it down.  That’s not to say I didn’t have some tears through some parts, but I would read this book again.

Slaughterhouse Five- One of Vonnegut’s classics, and for a reason! This book was a dense read, but I never once felt overwhelmed by it.  It is a little hard to describe this book, as it starts as a WWII novel and turns into a story following Billy Pilgrim and his life in the war and being a time traveler who was kidnapped by aliens.  I had no previous knowledge of the subject matter, nor a particular interest in Dresden, but this was an interesting read.  There were a ton of good quotes that I loved, and each chapter made me more and more intrigued to see where this story was going.  It isn’t an easy read, in the sense that if you’re looking for something mindless you are better off with another book, but it is not a difficult book to get through or understand.  This is just a read that does require your attention.

Where’d You Go Bernadette- I could talk for days about this book!  Where’d You Go is the latest subject of my blog article[4], and my newest favorite book.  This is an absolutely amazing summer read, as it is a fun read, both captivating and carefree.  This is the story of Bee Branch whose eccentric mother, Bernadette goes missing after a series of whirlwind events. Where’d You Go has bombshells and gems hidden behind every corner, that will keep the reader guessing until the end.

I am currently (and frantically) ravaging through reading lists to see which book will be a good next read to bring with me on vacation and follow up Where’d You Go.  I am still in mourning of exiting that great world, but I am sure the next book I read will distract me from my mundane activities and transport me to another world [as any good book should do!]  So if you have any recommendations or books you would like a blog written on, feel free to write it in the comments, I am always open for book discussion!

Xoxo,

Nerd Girl


No comments:

Post a Comment