Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Okay. Okay.- Obligatory ‘The Fault in our Stars’ Blog




It seems that every blogger I know who reads this book feels the need to write a blog about it.  In this instance, I am no exception to the rule.  There are some books that mean so much to us, it is a betrayal to share them[1], but The Fault in our Stars [by John Green] is too good not to share.

I am a huge nerd, but I am very picky with books.  I can finish a book in a day if it engulfs my interest . . . but if it does not, it will be a struggle and I will eventually put the book down.  Many moons ago one of my favorite UFC fighters, Kenny Florian, wrote on twitter how he was reading this book and then later messaged me to recommend it[2].  As there were a few things in my queue at the time, it took me a while to get to it.  However, I felt with the impending release of the movie, now was as good of a time as any.

I should preface by saying I had just finished reading Lone Survivor a few days before I started TFIOS[3], and was absolutely overcome with emotion.  That book, while a dense read, was an amazing historical account and a book that really touched me deeply.  That being said, now moving to a teen-esque fiction, I was a little skeptical.  But alas, it was on my bookshelf and I need to start getting to all my eager book purchases.

Once I started TFIOS, I tore through it like wildfire.  I could not get enough of the story, the characters, their plight . . . I ate up each and every word John Green laid out and I looked for more.  Every day I would take out my book during my commute and would be so engrossed in the story, I would barely notice when it was my time to get off.  While the subject matter of the book [two, oddly old for their age, adolescents inflicted with cancer meeting at a support group and fall in love] may seem a little heavy and dark, Green navigates through the story with such humor and lightheartedness, that you cannot help but fall in love.  While the book is over 300 pages, I did not want it to end.  I kept wanting to see more of the story, although the ending was great, I just did not want to give up on the new friends and new world I found myself surrounded in.

That’s what I love about a good book; it takes you and transcends you into the world and subject matter you are reading about.  John Green definitely hit the nail on the head here.  While I did call the ending from a few hundred pages out, he did not fail to disappoint.  The story was written absolutely beautifully, that it ensured it was an easy read but was also overridden with emotion.  I felt the pain of the characters, their happiness, everything they were enduring, even if I did not have the same exact experiences to draw from, I was able to empathize.  Once the book ended, I was, unapologetically admittedly, crying on the train.  The book invokes many emotions, and really makes you think about your life beyond the story.  Kenny Florian classified it as a ‘philosophical novel’, which I can understand why he would say that.  Regardless of if you just want to read it for the story or for its effect to invoke profound thought, you should definitely pick up a copy.

That being said, I am eagerly anticipating the movie debut.  I am hopeful that the mixed cast (of veteran and newer actors) will be able to make John Green's brilliant story proud.  It is common knowledge that this book has a huge fan following, so I have high hopes that while the movie will never live up to the book (they never do), it will still bring a new facet of light to the profound novel.  So while the weather is still snowy, and the movie is tightly locked up in some Hollywood warehouse, go to your nearest [hopefully local] bookstore and get your hands on The Fault in our Stars.  I promise, you will not be disappointed!




[1] This is a reference to a quote from the aforementioned book.
[2] Yes, this really happened.  And yes, I did save the message. . .  SWOON
[3] The Fault in our Stars. I will not only be referring to the book in shorthand, it’s a long title.

No comments:

Post a Comment