Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Leslie Knope is my Spirit Animal

Five years ago a comedian came to my college known as Aziz Ansari.  At the time he was known, but did not have the level of fame and exposure he does now.  He was doing standup, but also promoting a new show he was starring in called Parks and Recreations [Parks & Rec].  I am not the best TV person; it takes a lot for me to follow a show, but my brother loves it so whenever it was on, I would catch an episode.  However, after catching a few episodes on TV last week, I decided to start from Season 1 and work my way up to present.

Let me start by saying that the show is extremely entertaining.  While some people may compare it to The Office because of its ‘mockumentary’ type style [where they are constantly talking to the camera as if being interviewed] it is completely in a league of its own.  The more I watch the show and see each character develop, the more engrossed in the series I become.  Each character brings a great and unique part to the show, but of course I do have a favorite.  Ron Swanson is my all-time favorite person (not just character) because he has amazing one-liners and he is just hilarious while being completely serious.  If Ron Swanson were a real person, I would love to hang out with him.  He is my favorite ever. However, Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.

While that may seem like an obvious ‘favorite’ being as she is the leading heroine of the show, that is not why she is my spirit animal.  For one, she is funny, sassy, determined, work oriented, klutzy and that pretty much sums we up in a nutshell.  The real thing that stood out to me about her though, is that she is probably the only person who goes on worst dates than I do.
 For evidence, please cite: http://youtu.be/o0MKUXNzvDE
I have no ownership of this video or it’s contents, it is just something poignant I found on the internet, and ignore the quality because it sucks.  However, it describes all her horrible first dates and they sound like they could have been stories extracted from my memoir (or blog). 

Leslie comes up with these schemes and witty retorts that you know could never come from a government official in real life, however you just can’t help but fall in love with her.  She is completely oblivious and extremely ditzy, yet her passion and drive makes everything work out.  Leslie takes the stance that 'boy's clubs' should not be just about men and if she were to ever be involved in a sex scandal, it would be with her being President and the 'mistress' being the Vice-President.  Between that level of ridiculous and Aziz Ansari's annoying pseudo Casanova character, Tom Haverford, this show keeps you laughing for the full 30 minutes.

In the past my dream team night out of drinking and shenanigans used to be Ke$ha and P!nk, potentially ending in some jail time, but now I would much rather celebrate Galentine’s day with Leslie Knope.  Ya know, Ovaries before Brovaries.  If none of that makes sense to you, it is probably because I have binge watched so much of the show I actually feeling like I am working for the Parks Department.

With all of the different characters and personalities in this show, you will be found to find someone to relate to and fall in love with, even if your spirit animal isn't Leslie.  I even tend to sympathize with Jerry, although I think that exactly goes against what the show wants.  Regardless, you will find something to love in this amazing show.

If you have yet to check out Parks & Recs, definitely log onto your Netflix (or a friends…who doesn’t have an account nowadays?) and get ready to binge watch.  You need to catch up now since their upcoming 7th season will be their final. It is completely worth the hours you will spend in front of your TV.  I mean, it is really worth it . . . have I steered you wrong yet?

  

No comments:

Post a Comment