Friday, August 2, 2013

40 days. Or My monthly Challenge.

One of my friends is very religious, but also very spiritual.  She loves to constantly find new things out about herself, the purpose for which she is on earth, and how far she can push/test herself.  For this reason, she put herself up to a challenge; every 40 days she will try something new. 

Why 40?

Well in the Bible 40 is a reoccurring and significant figure.  It signifies a period of testing, trials and tribulations, yet always ends with enlightenment.  Also, science says it takes 40 days to break a habit, or in this case, create a new one.

Her first test was to stay off the alluring devil, Facebook, for 40 days.  Well, I don’t know about anyone else, but I don’t think I could stay off of it for 40 minutes of free time let alone for 40 days, so I’m out.  That being said, she passed that test and even after reactivating her Facebook, no longer feels the need to check it or be as dependent on it for entertainment as she used to be.   As much as I would love to say I’m not, I am totally a social media addict [as this blog can attest to.]  But I guess the first step to beating any addiction is to admitting it, right? 
My name is Gabrielle and I am addicted to Social Media.
 That being said, I cannot give up on it just yet; also because then what else would you good people have to read in the interim??

So that test is not applicable to me, on to the next one.  Her next test was to keep her hair up/pulled back for 40 days, as that is something she is not used to.  I hate my hair up and it doesn’t flatter me, so really what am I accomplishing by attempting that one?  Not that I want to take her experiments, but I am always up for something new to push myself.  That got me thinking, while picking up/letting go of something for 40 days is a great idea, it should really challenge or change you. 

Yesterday I had an epiphany; it was August 1st and I was going to start challenging myself.  I’ll start with a month since that’s just easier for me to keep track of in my hectic lifestyle and doesn’t add as much pressure.  Back in March I got a ‘let it be’ tattoo because the song has always been close to my heart, and I also wanted the daily reminder to not get so crazy over things I cannot change.  Well, it’s been 5 months and I still let things get to me just as much as I always did. 

It’s not that I’m sensitive, because in most ways I am not, but I tend to take things to heart and get hurt or hotheaded on things that do not matter or because of people who are of no consequence to me.  That being said, in the past two weeks I have had several run-ins with people who make no mind yet it still left me irritated and ruined my night.  After a very convincing pep talk from my mother and my Fundip[1], I decided to just let it go.  That started my epiphany.  There are way too many real problems in this world, things that can go wrong, chance and circumstances beyond my control, that I do not need to give power to those people who really do not matter to me.  So that was my first monthly challenge, Ignore people.  Sure, that seems really easy and it doesn’t seem like a ‘challenge’, but for me it is.  And I know I will be better for it at the end of this month.  So let’s hope this and my mantra bring me some serenity in the next upcoming weeks . . .and forever since this is going to be a life changing project.

As I am on a 5 month intense workout program, working out and my health are some things I am really obsessed with and have been keeping on top of.  While they aren’t exactly ‘new’ in terms of this monthly challenge, they are important tests I am going to stick with.  That being said, I need more things to keep me on track for being a ‘zen’ person and constantly push my boundaries and try new things. 

If anyone wants me to write blogs about specific things, try something new and humiliate myself, here is the chance to tell me!!  I will be accepting all new challenges per month for a limited time, and since this month is more of an internal challenge to better myself, I would like to pick up some fun new challenge to test myself.



[1] Fundip: A very honest and levelheaded friend of mine who, if you go against her, will leg lock you into submission until you calm down and see it her way.

4 comments:

  1. So a few suggestions:
    Drinking alcohol - even I think this is a stupid idea but would be a fantastic social experiment.
    Twitter - This might bring the internet crashing to it's needs
    Dating - Sounds like you are doing this already judging by your other blog post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the drinking alcohol one, but then i'd have no vice!
      Twitter, that would punish everyone else!
      and dating, HA! I have succumbed to the fact I will be alone and that is good! lol
      What else, what else? :)

      Delete
    2. The drinking one seems like just good blog material like a follow up to your bar tending one “Drunk etiquette on a Friday night”. The twitter just seems like a good exercise taking everything you put into 140 characters and work on your blog material, yes it will be tough on all your fans but you will be rewarding them with longer maybe better quality content :)

      Outside of that not sure I mean you have the standard improve yourself (learn a foreign language, start a new hobby, blah, blah). Explore new places to eat, drink, whatever in NY. Regarding dating, you could join a dating site and force yourself to go on a date every so many days. Shitty for you but would be great blog material.

      Delete
    3. HAhaha you haven't known me for the times I quit drinking, huh? The problem with people is that there is no 'Drunk Etiquette' especially depending on age (I remember my first beer!) lol.
      The twitter thing is genius! lol I need to figure out a way to make several 'short stories' into blogs!

      OMG! that dating site awkward date idea is GENIUS

      Delete