Thursday, July 11, 2013

Murphy’s Law: Anything that could go wrong will go wrong

This is the story of my life; Murphy’s Law.  I am the perpetual Klutz McGee, which usually doesn’t bother me at all, but when I absolutely positively need something to go flawlessly . . . well, that’s when it all goes downhill.

Now, not everything needs to be a huge catastrophe; thank God, for me it’s usually just little things.  For example, my mother always used to tell me ‘make sure to look nice whenever you go out, because you never know who you will meet.’  Well this advice is obvious on a Friday/Saturday night, because getting dolled up on the weekend is my specialty, but any time I don’t head that advice, I usually regret it. 

Not getting it yet?  Okay, I will explain.

A few months ago my mother and I had tickets to go see The Nance on Broadway for a Sunday Matinee.  I got the tickets from some ‘internet deals’ kind of site, but I was really looking forward to the show since it looked great, Nathan Lane was starring in it, and I love any outing with my momma (she’s the best!).  So I kept in mind that I had to leave my house in the late morning to be ready for the show, but I went out Saturday night anyway.  My partner in crime and I went into the City, bar hopped then ended up back in my town and bar hopped some more.  Now Sunday morning comes, and I do not know how exactly it had happened, but I woke up with a hangover.  That being the case, obviously I was moving in slow motion that morning and figured since I had washed my hair before I went out last night, I can just pin my bangs back and not wash it again, being as that tacks on another 20 minutes (wash & dry time) to my shower routine.  So I clean up (minus my hair), throw some minimal makeup on, my favorite shirt and leggings and head out to meet my mother.  Now, little known fact about me; my hair is long but I absolutely despise putting my hair back.  I have had bangs for the past, I don’t know, 10 years, and it is for a reason.  I am not a fan of my hair pulled back, I think I look weird.  But it was a Sunday, and a play, and despite being a few blocks from my office, who was I going to see?

Sure enough, I am GAWKING at this man in the audience who is sitting near us.  He was so handsome and looked extremely familiar but I could not place why.  Intermission comes and goes and I figure it out!!

Jonathan Tucker[1]!

My ex-boyfriend and I had just re-watched the entire (and sadly short lived) series of The Black Donnelly’s, which starred Mr. Tucker, so his face was fresh on my mind. Once I figure it out I alert my mother (and brother via text) and our family meeting consensus was that I should go and say something.  Despite looking like a total banshee, towards the end of the play I walked up and said
‘You’re Jonathan Tucker, right?  I am a fan of your work.’
 Exchanged a few pleasantries and walked away.  See, the thing here, ladies, is to act cool even when you do not feel confident.  The main point is also sometimes saying less makes way more of a statement than talking someone’s head off does. 

It turns out Jonathan used to work with one of my friend’s brothers, and still kept in contact.  Well due to some diligent twitter research on his end, he made the connection and told my friend’s brother what an impression I made on him.  Unfortunately for me he is married, but it was still a pretty awesome run in! Now obviously with his marital status my looks made no difference, but I like to think had I heeded my mother’s advice and dolled up before going out, I could’ve bagged myself a single actor.  But then again, I’m sure some side swept bangs and a little blush isn’t going to make much of a difference, what you see is pretty much what you get, here. J

In a shorter, yet on topic story, I once met Gerard Butler one St Patrick’s day after I marched in the parade and probably drank my own weight in cider.  While I looked adorable when I left my house, the drunken end result probably looked a little lack luster.

That wasn’t even a bad story.  My problem is whenever I just roll out of my house thinking I’m not going to see anyone is when I see EVERYONE.  I went to the beach on Independence Day[2], and not like I would wear makeup to the beach, but people do not usually see me without eyeliner on and with my hair up.  Not that I am vapid or anything, and not that I am particularly horrifying without makeup (because I am not), but I just never have small tired eyes and a pony tail.  Anyway, this is how I showed up to the beach on that particular day; tired eyes, pony tail, and a sequin American Flag headband.  I baked on the beach for hours, getting covered in salt water, sunscreen, sweat and probably some sangria.  As I was departing my glorious, and private, beach community I noticed someone who did not belong . . . some hoe that hates my very existence.  Despite not knowing her too well in person, and having no personal problems with her, she certainly has said a lot of awful things about me; which is fine, as we all know, girls are b*s! But she had a sock bun[3] and sunglasses (I don’t need that kind of tan line) and just looked put together, despite wearing a tee-shirt to the beach [really never a good look when you’re sunbathing in a tee].   Of course every girl wants to look like a million bucks when they see someone who hates their guts (albeit unwarranted) but it was disappointing that I just looked . . . well, average.  Sure, I was kissed by the sun and looked like a bronze goddess, but I also looked like I needed a nap and some sunglasses, which were so conveniently missing.

The point is, narcissistic or not, you should always try to look nice whenever you leave the house.  You never know who you are going to see, and fate has a silly and cruel way of having people sneak into your life!



[1] Amazingly adorable actor.  http://www.imdb.com/find?q=Jonathan+Tucker&s=all
[2] That’s right, INDEPENDENCE DAY, none of this ‘4th of July’ bologna.  I am AMERICAN, and I am going to proudly celebrate my nation’s conception!!
[3] http://hellogiggles.com/diy-sock-bun

No comments:

Post a Comment