Friday, July 13, 2012

Conversation with God.......sort of.

I heard a quote (or was it more of an excerpt?) recently that really got me thinking.  It goes like this: “While talking to God I asked ‘how much time do I have to live?’ and He said ‘Enough to make a difference.’”  

            This to me has more power in a short little passage than anything I have ever read.  It is so true; we never know how much time we have in this world, we all like to think it is a lot, but we are never certain, so why not make the most of every second.  It sounds so cliche, but as we are only put on this earth for an indefinite amount of time, we should use it to be happy and spread happiness. 

            Now, this is not some big religious statement (the quote can be for any god you believe in), nor is it some lecture.  I am one of the biggest ‘plan for later’ ‘work as hard as you can now so you can retire happy’ kind of people, I am constantly planning for the future; but after reading this quote it makes me feel rather selfish.  I shouldn’t be looking at ways to make my life easier in the upcoming years, I should be looking at ways to make an impact on the world.  I have always had a struggle with this.  I want to leave a mark on this world in some way.  Maybe not the whole world, maybe just make a difference in the world of one person, but I need to make a difference nonetheless.  That is my quest in life, and this quote really brought it home. 

            No matter how long we are put on this earth, we are all here with one purpose; to make a difference.  That statement probably seems trivial and you may think it is harder than just that, but it isn’t.  Making a difference can be helping an old lady with her groceries or shopping from a local store and giving back to your community.  There are so many ways we can make a small yet profound impact on the world, if only we try.

            This is my vow to start doing more now; volunteer more, recycle more, help those in need.  I like to think that even my blogging (most of which are just silly little articles of nonsense) has the opportunity to make a difference. So this is my inspirational epiphany for the morning, go out there and make the world better than you found it.

No comments:

Post a Comment