Monday, June 16, 2014

Single in the City

It is now a running joke in my inner circle (and some on the outside as well) that I go on some interesting [read: horrible] first dates.   I meet a lot of people on a weekly basis; I pretty much always have a story, even something as mundane as taking public transportation home, I have a story.  You would think the odds would be in my favor to meet ‘the one’ being as I meet so many people, but No.  Let me tell you why, when I say I meet a lot of people, that is true, however, I meet a lot of crazy people.

Now please do not read this as judging, that is not true at all.  I am in no way ‘normal,’ Morticia Adam’s says ‘what’s normal for the spider is chaos for the fly,’ and I strongly believe that.  But as I have stated in previous blogs, life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy.  I know my kind of crazy isn’t everyone else’s cup of tea, and I am good with that.  We are all just looking for a person whose demons play well with ours  . . . or at least that is my mission. 

That being said, I do think I have a magnet that brings the crazies to me.  Either that or I am just too nice, which I know people who know me well are laughing at that, but I do think I am too nice.  Also, I do think there are certain rules (i.e. Social norms) that should be followed on a first encounter/date with someone.  For example, not only should you read social queues, but know where you are on the totem pole.  That doesn’t mean you should let someone treat you poorly or that you are ‘beneath’ someone.  What I mean by ‘totem pole’ is, know where you stand in your relationship with this person.  If you JUST met them, well then maybe you should know that your relationship with them is an acquaintance and not something intimate.  What do I mean by that, you ask?  Well, let me divulge. 

No matter what your relationship is with a person, you cannot cram a lifetime into the initial meet.  That means that you need to know if you are initially meeting the person, you are still strangers getting to know each other, you are not lifelong friends.  You may feel like you have a spiritual connection with this person like you’ve known them forever, but at the end of the day you do not and should act accordingly.

In a romantic sense, if you do not know the person, you should avoid all intimate gestures on a first date.  For whatever reason, I tend to go on a lot of first dates where people think it’s appropriate to hold hands.  I hope you’re making a face while reading that, dear reader, because I just cringed.  I have gone on first dates with strangers, people I’ve met in bars, people I know via mutual friends giving me a vague idea of who they are, and still, I think this is weird.  I am not a huge hand holder to begin with, but I think no matter what, a first encounter with someone, and certainly while sitting at a bar or coffee house, is no time to hold someone’s hand.  Maybe if you’re having a romantic night out and you are taking a stroll and the mood calls for it, sure, go for it; but if you’re just sitting at a bar having a casual conversation, maybe rethink your urge.  Furthermore, if the object of your affection removes their hand not once, not twice, but three times from your clutches, maybe it is time to stop trying to make the hand holding happen.  I am unsure if other people have those kinds of first dates, but I seem to be meeting all the hand holders.  Fellas, you’re all nice guys, but please, please, please, for the love of God, read social queues!  If my hands are folded on my lap or firmly grasping my drink on the bar, do not entangle them to creepishly lace your fingers with.  No, I am not interested, and no there will be no second date.

Yet, silver lining time.  To further prove how I constantly have a story, and also to leave this blog on a high note, I will let you in on another little piece of advice.  TAKE CHANCES!

Several weeks ago I was leaving work late so I jumped on a different train than I usually take.  I noticed halfway through my trip that there was a younger [than me] man standing in the middle of the car staring at me.  As I am the paranoid person I am, feeling he was staring, I would look over and exchange a ferociously fierce glance.  Every time our eyes met he would give me a smile, so I stopped being paranoid and continued staring off into the distance, drowning in my music and unwinding from my day.  When the two seats next to me opened up he ran to sit down, making sure to leave an empty seat as a buffer between us.  I saw him continuously looking at me from the corner of my eye (and the reflection in the window) but I had a long day and didn’t feel like bothering with people.  Finally when someone came to sit in between us he scooted over closer towards me, giving the new person the corner seat.  Any straphanger[1] knows that the corner seat is coveted; You do not give that up lightly!  As he scooted towards me he gently bumped into me and apologized, to which I reciprocated with a smile, as I did not want to take my headphones off.  Apparently this was not the response the young man wanted because he then made a more dramatic effort, slid all the way to the right then slid all the way to the left crashing into me.  I figured at that point I had no choice but to take my headphones off and talk to him.  It was a pleasant conversation, he was very nice, although it did not turn into anything more.

The point of that story is to let people know that they should take chances!  Any scenario is an opportunity to meet new people, and if you play your cards right, it might even bloom into something more.  While I did not ever see this person again, nor did I think we would be compatible in any way, shape or form, it was nice to see someone taking initiative and being so brazen.  Even if the object of your affection is not interested, you get some serious brownie points for making a move.  Hang in there, daters, for every bad story there has to be a good one . . . they can't all be bad!!




[1] Colloquialism for NYC subway rider

No comments:

Post a Comment