Friday, March 14, 2014

Every Action has a Reaction: If/Then Review

Life is full of choices; mundane choices you make every day, once in a lifetime choices, choices you do not think are important at the time, but every choice you make has an impact on your life.  Sure, whether or not you get an iced or hot coffee in the morning probably will not change your life, but perhaps stopping at a certain coffee cart may introduce you to the love of your life, and that is a choice.

I am a firm believer that all choices, no matter how small, have the potential to have a life changing effect on your life.  For that reason, I try to go with my gut at all times.  However, the thing that upsets me is that you never really know what would happen if you chose the other path.  Is there an alternate universe where you made a left instead of a right and your life is completely different?

Well, that may seem a little too crazy for most people’s thoughts, but the writers of Idina Menzel’s new play If/Then seem to have taken my train of thought. In an attempt to try new things, my writer friend Terri Ann[1] and I went to see this new play.  Terri was the first person who introduced me to the show, and after we purchased our tickets I started seeing a lot of commercials for it on New York 1.  First off, you would never be able to tell this show was just in its preview stage, the theater was jam packed with chatty theater goers eager for the show to commence.  Sitting in our seats waiting, I took a look around at the packed theater, and the stage.  The set was different; a modest urban setting with several movable pieces, but it was perfect for the play.

For those of you unfamiliar with If/Then and why I opened this piece with choices, I will give you some background.  The show revolves around Idina Menzel’s main character, Elizabeth, who just moved to the city to start a new life for herself.  The opening scene Elizabeth meets two friends in a park, new friend Kate, and old friend Lucas.  Both of these friends have completely different personalities, Kate being the carefree kindergarten teacher, and Lucas being the self-righteous activist.  Meeting these friends right off the bat gives Elizabeth two choices, does she go with Kate and become Liz, a lighthearted soul who follows love over her career, or does she go with Lucas and become practical Beth, a go-getter who puts her career and ambitions first?

What I liked most about this play is that it jumped right into the meat of the story within the first five minutes.  Idina’s character was given two choices, which may not seem like huge life-altering choices, but as the play continues it is revealed how much that first choice changed her life.  The play unravels in two tandem storylines, showing how her life would play out with either decision she made.  Because the story lines are going on at the same time, and she often switches from ‘Liz’ to ‘Beth’ in a moment’s notice, you may think it would be a little hard to follow, but I did not find that to be the case.  I did, however, find that it was hard to focus as there were so many fluid parts of the story going on, but it was easy to differentiate between the two lives she was living.

This play hit very close to both me and Terri Ann, as I am sure many others in the audience.  It was very realistic, relatable, and it is the second play ever to move me to tears [literally!]  If/Then was not only extremely interesting, but the storyline had so many unexpected twists and turns, it kept my full attention for the play’s entirety.  If you are going through a quarter life crisis, looking for a good date night play, or just something different to do, I strongly suggest going to see If/Then.  Fantastic storyline, great soundtrack, and perfect execution, If/Then is the play to go see this spring.  Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment