Friday, September 13, 2013

Progress, NOT Perfection.

About three months ago I started a 'Beach Body' program called Turbo Fire.  This is a 5 month intense cardio program, which I personally describe as similar to shadow boxing.  The program puts you on a 6 day, 5 month, workout program and specific healthy diet.  It is not so much of a diet as it is a clean eating routine.  As I have already practiced clean eating, I read the diet manual and recipes several times and use some of theirs but mainly stick to my own.

I have noticed, while I may not be losing as many pounds as I would like, my body looks different and most importantly I feel different.  I feel my stomach does not get upset or bloated after eating, I have more energy; yes, my muscles are sore, but I do feel more accomplished and energetic on a daily basis.  On the days I do not work out (I usually schedule my ‘rest day’ around whatever day I am busiest and won’t be home) I feel unaccomplished and lethargic. 

Doing intense workouts on a daily basis has drastically improved my life.  While I am not where I would like to be as an end result, I know I am gladly on my way.  Too many people don’t want to put the time in to get the results they want.  The problem with expectation is you get discouraged when you do not see the results you want in your [irrational] time constraint.  I know the results I want will take me the 5 months, and considering I have tailored the plan to fit my schedule/life style, it may even take me a little bit after that.  Yet, that is the thing with ‘working out’ and having a fit, clean routine; it is not just a phase or something you do sometimes, it is a lifestyle.  Once you make the commitment to work out and be fit, that is a lifestyle change, it is not something you do temporarily or periodically.  It is a life commitment. 

I am perfectly happy to make my life revolve around being fit, because I know, while I was not overweight before, there are more benefits to being fit than the scale can hold.  In my [almost] 3 months working out I lost about 10 pounds.  Some people may be discouraged by this, but I know how I’ve gained a lot of muscle, my body looks different, I feel different, and I am even in a better mental state.  There are so many benefits for working out if you drop your expectations of being ‘skinny’ and just aim to be healthy.  I don’t want to be skinny.  Skinny is dangerous, people get skinny by skipping meals and eating the wrong things.  I just want to be fit; I want to eat right and feel right and have muscles and released endorphins.  That is my expectation for working out, to have a well-deserved sense of pride for my accomplishments.  You just have to remember that your body, like everything else, is a constant work in progress, perfection is unattainable.

If anyone is looking for a good program to start an intense workout commitment, definitely check out Turbo Fire[1].  Chalene really knows how to make classes fun and even though you are watching a tv screen, she somehow manages to motivate; which I never thought was possible with a workout DVD.

And remember this KEY RULE about working out . . . Exercise releases endorphins, endorphins make you happy, and happy people don’t go around shooting their husbands.  They just don’t[2].




[1]  Program can be found here: http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/turbofire.do?code=SEMB_GOOGLE_TF&gclid=CKmS4YLPyLkCFUhk7AodzVcAXg
[2] If you haven’t yet guessed it, this is from the movie: Legally Blonde

No comments:

Post a Comment