Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Crescent City- an ode to my new favorite band. Dirty Bourbon River Show



Over the weekend, I was lucky enough to see a New Orleans jazz/funk/ska/circus/rock band play twice.  The Dirty Bourbon River Show is one of the best bands I have seen in a very long time.  They are lively, full of energy and genuine love for what they do, they have a theme and stick to it [which speaks to my persona and I appreciate it]. As musicians [certainly not starving artists] they just have so much fun with the music and each gig and that really relates to the audience.

Noah, Dane, Jimmy, Matt and Charlie are each very talented and bring their talents together in a fun and whimsical way.  The band play numerous brass and unique instruments as well as the standard electric instruments.  Their circus theme and funky song titles and lyrics speak true to their home city, New Orleans Louisiana.  The brass, funk, circus inspired music is something unique to Dirty Bourbon River Show but can be traced back to New Orleans as a carefree party feel.  Each song is so different from the next both in vocals and instruments, there are opera hooks, light pyrotechnics, and impromptu instrumental drum solos that makes the audience keep guessing in wonder as to what will come next. 

This band makes me miss the city of New Orleans, as I have not been there in nearly 10 years.  However my weekend spent at 2 of their stops on their nation wide tour made me really appreciate their city, their music, and what it means to be a traveling musician.  These men have been on the road for several months with no end in site couch surfing just to pursue their love for music and share their talent with the world.  They are not looking for fame and fortune; they are just showcasing their homegrown talent with the rest of the country.  This is true love for the art.  They are away from their families and former lives all for the sake of music and doing what you love.  I can absolutely respect that, and they definitely evoked more emotions than I’m sure originally anticipated.  Their sets made me miss NoLa, book my formerly tentative trip, and make me really question why anyone should focus on money for a living.  We really should focus on what we love, and have money be a secondary issue.  These 5 friends travel the country with nothing more than what they can pack in their van and haul to the next city, and they have more memories, fun, stories and life experiences than many of us can ever have in a lifetime. 

If you have not already done so, go to dirtybourbonrivershow.com and check out their upcoming tour dates and check them out.  They are really something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment