Friday, May 13, 2011

The Apocalypse is upon us. And it has. . . .Zombies!

You may see them in train stations, billboards, people handing out fliers in the street or spitting gospel, but they all hold the same message…"The apocalypse is coming.”  Whether it is in 2012 like the Mayans say, or May 21st which is what I keep seeing on billboards for some advertiser; they all hold the same message that the end is near.  This makes me ponder the question, ‘what exactly does the end bring?’  Now, being the huge horror movie buff and zombie lover that I am, I can only assume that, whenever the end is, it will host zombies.  Yes, I said Zombies.  The flesh eating undead, risen from the grave to feed on the flesh of the living. 

Before I *really* get in to my crazy thoughts, let me just say that most of my blog is just going to be thoughts passing through my mind.  They are not necessarily true, nor strong beliefs of mine, just things I feel would be good conversations or subjects I would like to hear other’s opinion on.

That being said, I am strongly passionate about Zombies.

So now when this Zombie apocalypse does come upon us, think about it….REALLY think about it.  Where would you go? You can’t stay in your house, because there’s probably too many windows and entrances to ensure security. 

But now let me not get ahead of myself.  As any zombie-fanatic would point out, there are many different kinds of zombies.  I am a huge George A. Romero buff, but even he has differing opinions on Zombies.  Will the apocalypse be filled with slow moving zombies who can easily be outsmarted and outran like in the 1960’s classic, Night of the Living Dead.  Or, will these zombies be part of the new generation, like in the 2005 Romero movie, Land of the Dead.  Personally, Land of the Dead frightens me, not because the movie is amazing and accurate (that is all debatable), but because those Zombies are quick, and can learn! Never before in a Zombie movie, or any zombie documentation, have zombies been able to learn; that makes them a far more dangerous predator.

In my daydream of the zombie apocalypse, I see zombies as being ‘regular’ undead people.  They can’t learn, they don’t have superhuman powers, they are just the undead.  Examples of these standard undead thoughts are in Shaun of the Dead (but without the satire) or the new [and amazing] AMC hit, The Walking Dead.  With these versions of regular zombies, my plan would be to stay in my 5th floor apartment facing the water.  It is easily accessible to the highway (hoping I have a spot near my house) and I will still stand by the notion that Zombies cannot swim.  I feel I will be nice and safe in my building that zombies cannot climb into the window or break through my front door.  But now the question that lingers is…’sure, I am in walking distance from the store, but what happens when all that food expires?’  I feel it is far more easy to have a viable safe house, but what do you do when the food supply runs out?  There is not a Nasa store where we can pick up food in a tube, so what does one do?  Also, where would I get my weapons from? Yes you can turn anything into a weapon, but I don't know if I can kill anything in upclose hand to hand combat.  Regardless of if they are already dead.  These lingering questions make me think, although I WILL survive through the zombie apocalypse, will it be as easy and badass as I envision?

Anyone reading this, take a second to think about your zombie getaway plan.  Where would you go? Who and what would you take with you? Where would you get weapons from, can you really kill an undead? What would you do if your loved ones turned? And, my big quandary, What would you do for food?

No comments:

Post a Comment